[governance] Fwd: [gnso-dow123] Note from Paul Twomey regarding WHOIS clause in the Affirmation

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Thu Oct 5 15:00:41 EDT 2006

At 12:48 PM 05.10.2006 '?.'Ъ┬Ж  -0400, you wrote:

>On 10/4/06, Milton Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> >> Twomey distances himself and ICANN from the new JPA.
> >
> >how do you reckon that from the below?
>
>He has to explicitly assert that ICANN has the
>freedom to alter its current Whois policy. This is not what the USG wants.

I don't understand how are you so certain what
the USG wants? Besides, you are arguing with me
only, because I am the only director writing in
this mailing list. If I remember correctly all
the board, with one exception, voted for this JPA.
I can understand your frustration from many
facts, but the fact is the MoU is over, and the
JPA is not the MoU in new clothes - regardless of
what you say. Problem with opinions, based on
asumptions, is that once you form them, you can't
stop defending them. There's nothing wrong in
being wrong. There's something wrong when you can't admit you're wrong.
My reading of the MoU, including the point of the
Whois, is the same as the reading of the European
Commission. It may be due to the fact that I am
an European, and you are an American. It seems like a cross-cultural issue.

In anycase, the language of Mrs. Reding is more
clear to me, than many of the wording here, esp.
when people start to interprete them. It seems
you say one thing, but you mean something different.

Sincerely,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com

check also my blog: