[governance] Fwd: [gnso-dow123] Note from Paul Twomey regarding WHOIS clause in the Affirmation of Responsibilities Re

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Thu Oct 5 10:36:54 EDT 2006

Danny,
you have an opinion already. If you are asking me whether I agree
with it, my response is no, I don't. If you were first asking
questions, before forming your opinion, then we might have had a
discussion. We can't have discussion, where we have different
opinions. It will be just stating them. You've done so. I've done
that by voting.

veni

At 07:27 AM 05.10.2006 '?.'  -0700, Danny Younger wrote:
>Veni,
>
>The issue is that the Joint Project Agreement serves
>to demonstrate that ICANN is once again acting as an
>unaccountable worldwide legislature.  ICANN has
>promulgated a worldwide rule that declares that gTLD
>WHOIS billing contact data must now be publicly
>displayed.
>
>This declaration of new policy transpired without the
>benefit of community input and totally outside of what
>could have been a legitimate ICANN policy development
>process.
>
>This "legislation" (desired by intellectual property
>groups located mainly in the US) is exported to the
>nations of the world without community participation
>or consent.  Such an action engenders a significant
>amount of hostility against both ICANN and the USG
>that insisted upon this clause.
>
>As a member of the WHOIS Task Force stated:
>
>"events" have overcome everything that was once ICANN.
>It certainly makes for a much easier reform process.
>We'd just need to model around this -
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppet_state and call it
>a day.
>
>With respect to WHOIS considerations, ICANN has
>decided to become the vassal of the USG.  I don't view
>this as a positive development.  Do you?

>http://mail.yahoo.com

Sincerely,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com