AW: [governance] ICANN DOC

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Oct 2 17:49:58 EDT 2006

>>> wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de 10/2/2006 4:39:47 AM
>>>
>Would it be legally possible that ICANN enters into a similar "Joint
>Project Agreement" with the European Union? Or the government
>of Brazil?

How to answer this without using sexist metaphors? Oh what the heck,
let's put it this way. ICANN is a "kept" man/woman. If a kept person
starts contracting themselves out to a bunch of other people, one name
for their new status is "the world's oldest profession."

More seriously, one does not increase one's autonomy by adding masters,
and there's a good chance that the different masters' needs will compete
or conflict, not good for "security and stability."

And why on earth would we want it to enter into a bunch of new
JPAs/MoUs with other governments, anyway? Let's see, the US gets to veto
Whois policy, the Europeans get their own TLD, Brazil gets to veto the
TLD of their choice (um, say .xxx), South Africa gets to dictate who
registers southafrica.com. What do China and Iran get?

Sure, step right up, come one, come all....we'll sell ourselves to any
government that comes along....

     governance at lists.cpsr.org