[governance] ITU IG Resolution

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Nov 30 07:04:14 EST 2006

> will something happen in the first quarter of 2007? should the IGC prepare

> to communicate with the incoming SG (both UN and ITU) about how this

> process of enhanced cooperation may be started and how the Geneva

> Principles on IG can be usefully applied?

I have been raising these questions in IGC (and other forums) but they have
generally received a muted response. I think the civil society engaging with
IG issues need to give up its self-doubts in frontally facing the 'public
policy' question in IG and the issue of institutional arrangements adequate
to this purpose. These issues will not go away, everyone always knew this,
and every passing day brings increasing evidence that there are important
public policy issues that are best dealt at global levels - it often serves
the public interest better if they are addressed at global levels, rather
than at national, or bi-lateral levels (see posts on US trade deals and
ccTLD dispute resolution mechanisms). Just one company, Google, it seems
takes on a legal suit at the rate of at least one per day, and each of these
is in its ad hoc way setting public policy precedents that have implications
for all of us.

And now since (1) the issue (public policy in IG and its global
institutional arrangements) will not go away, and (2) it has tremendous
public interest implications (which the IGC espouses), we need to explore
the reason and benefits of our not engaging with them. Is it strategic to
postpone this engagement as much as possible? Does postponement lessens the
danger of what are our principal fears from a relatively well
institutionalized IG global policy arrangement.

I see two basic fears (1) governments - we know which ones - will
institutionalize and legitimize policies of control, hyper-security,
censorship etc through such an arrangement (2) the new arrangement will
reduce the level of influence that CS or non-governmental sectors have on
Internet polices (or effects of their absence).

I think on both these counts situation will worsen as we delay in
institutionalizing a IG policy framework. The leverage that CS has on IG
policies has come largely from the fact that the Internet grew away from
governmental shadows and most governments did not understand Internet, and
because of it they were ready to both submit to a global framework, and
allow CS and other non-governmental sectors some influence on its policies.
this situation we know is changing to the detriment of the CS. Most
governments today understand Internet fairly well, and further growth of
Internet is mostly taking place under their covetous eyes. They may not
really need the CS for long, neither will they need a global framework of
cooperation. As more time lapses the global IG policies will be negotiated
by individual governments form a relative position of strength, and the
outcomes will be determined by complete realpolitik, rather than any
globally accepted values, and wide democratic participation.

I recently read this article - "Jefferson Rebuffed - The United States and
the Future of Internet Governance" - which speaks of a 'constitutional
moment' missed for IG when the EU's proposal in the last stages of WSIS for
working toward an institutional arrangement was missed. The same effort
survives as the mention of a process towards 'enhanced cooperation' in the
Tunis documents. I am not sure what IGC's response to the EU proposal was,
but I do not remember any enthusiasm. A similar attitude is seen among many
to the 'enhanced cooperation' part.

It is not surprising - since the context and the space of a public policy
institutional arrangement clearly and strongly exists - that various players
- presently ITU - will try to use this lever.

I agree with willie that IGC should firm up a proactive position in this
area. An early and pro-active engagement with the 'public policy and its
institutional arrangement issues' can still serve to give a greater handle
to the civil society to promote (and safeguard) public interest. It may be
better served through a global policy framework that is informed by globally
accepted norms and values, rather than ad hoc adjudications, or worse,
executive arbitrariness. And it will be better served if the CS takes a lead
and ensures (though, probably, not granted) a greater role in the whole
process..

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore