[governance] psiphon software allows web access despite a censoring regime

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 06:52:09 EST 2006

Thank you Sylvia forn enabling us to know of this new weapon to fight
censorship by unachievers. You will all agree with me that only thos
who have not achieve some thing in their stewardship will be against
the free flow of information.
It is with release that I learn of this new development by the Citizen Lab.
Once more, more grase to their elbows.

Nyangkwe

On 11/29/06, Sylvia Caras <Sylvia.Caras at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Citizen Lab at the Munk Centre for International Studies announced
> Sunday that it will release psiphon, a "human rights software project,"
> under General Public License, by Friday. The system, part of the lab's
> CiviSec Project, is funded by the Open Society Institute.
>
> It is not entirely bulletproof, but developers say it will be difficult for
> censors to identify and block psiphon.
>
> People in free countries can install the free open source software and turn
> their home computers into "psiphonodes," or personal, encrypted servers. The
> psiphonode administrator can create and manage user accounts so friends and
> relatives can log in from censored countries. The encrypted connection
> allows people in restrictive countries to go to the administrators' unique
> Web addresses, login with usernames and passwords provided by
> administrators, and surf the Web.
>
> The psiphon Web site, which provides the software, doesn't have to be
> operative for the software to work. In other words, even if a censoring
> regime blocks access to the psiphon Web site, people in restrictive
> countries can access the wide open Web through their friends' and family
> members' computers.

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President