SV: [governance] ITU IG Resolution

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Nov 27 03:33:40 EST 2006

Dear list,

it is worth to "study" the final ITU PP Press release.

http://www.itu.int/newsroom/press_releases/2006/27.html

Under the discussed items (Section II: Looking Ahead), which sets the priorities for the next four years, next to WSIS implementation with regard to Action Lines there is the "Internet enhanced cooperation" as a second priority. What does it mean? Priority six is the convening of a World Telecommunication Policy Forum in 2009 for Internet related public policy issues. It says "such as intreroperabiloity and convergence" but under such a general healdine everything can be disucssed. is this a counter-forum to the IGF, dominated by governments without civil society? The study process whether CS will become included or not in ITU will be over only in 2010 and then ITU will make a decision how to invite CS. Obvioulsy they want to build the house first and then invite the inhabitants.

And here is what Mr. Toure said at the closing press conference: "Along with my dedicated staff and colleagues at ITU, I will build bridges to a digital future through the active and meaningful participation of all stakeholders, including the private sector and civil society dealing with ICT. I believe that teamwork is the key to success."

With regard to IG he added: "The membership has set a task to deal with International Public Policy issues related to the internet in which ITU has been involved for many years in developing standards and providing services." Responding to a question on ITU's role in internet governance and management of the internet, Dr Touré said, "ITU is not looking at taking over internet governance. ITU very well positioned to manage internet resources and will continue to contribute to the growth of the internet in its area of expertise and along with all stakeholders."

Also the language of the headline of the Press Release is interesting and worth to study. It says "ITU Conference signals enhanced international cooperation in ICT - Plenipotentiary Conference endorses expanded mandate for ITU <https://server1.medienkomm.uni-halle.de/newsroom/press_releases/2006/27.html> ." What does it mean? What is the "expanded mandate". Is "Enhanced Cooperation on Internet Governance" as defined bt the Tunis Summit now part of a bigger process of "enhanced international cooperation in ICT". Is Tunis subordinated? Is there a linkage? Does somebody think that ICANN is a subsidary body of the ITU with limited responsibilities for some elements of the DNS like new gTLDs? Toure says that ITU is not looking at taking over Internet Governance but is "very well positioned to manage internet resources". Very interesting and slippery language which gives a lot of space for interpretation.

Best wishes (and prepare your 2009 Travel Budget for two big Internet Governance Conferences: IGF in Cairo and WTPF elswhere).

wolfgang