[governance] IGF - updates

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 12:19:38 EST 2006

>I agree with Avri -- listing on http://www.intgovforum.org is
> preferable. If you know someone setting up/organizing a coalition
> effort, please ask them to send me the info:

I think this is a first of what may become many examples of unnecessary
repetition of information (to everyone's detriment), which is why it is
important to try to agree on an approach for IGF and related information to
appear on one website with people given control over those parts where
control is deemed important.

Since that agreement is still a way off though, people will just have to
repeat information for the time being. There are comparatively few dynamic
coalitions and once you have the info in a documents, it is no great hassle
to post on both sites, so there is no great problem as I see it.

I do agree with Avri and Adam though: it is vastly preferable for a dynamic
coalition to appear on the UN's official site. After all, alot of the
coalition organisers have been asking for a tacit acceptance that they have
been formed within the grounds of the IGF - with clear benefits - and this
is clearly the mechanism by which that can be done.

Of course the great benefit of the IGF2006.info website is that people can
edit their entries without needing any permission or interaction from
others. This means it can be kept up to date, and new information, meeting
reports, email lists, whatever can all be added by the person or people most
associated with the coalition.

There is no reason why the more official submission made to the UN cannot
contain URLs pointing to where more up-to-date material can be found -
either the coalition's own pages (like IP Justice's for example), or the
wiki page on IGF2006.info.

But I do think this highlights why conversations over building a resource at
a single domain (or perhaps just for introducing a simple system of
interlinked pages) are important. I promise I will get around to knocking up
a paper of what I think for dissemination, dissection and destruction as
soon as I have cleared a backlog of work.

Kieren

Kieren McCarthy
Homepages: http://www.kierenmccarthy.me.uk
Blog: http://www.kierenmccarthy.co.uk/