[governance] speech on concluding panel in Athens

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Mon Nov 6 11:16:57 EST 2006

Hi, for transparency reasons, you find below the speech I gave on behalf
of civil society on the concluding panel in Athens.
The selection of the speaker was a last minute action over a lunch
meeting of Congo and the IG caucus at Thursday. We also had a short
discussion at that meeting of what should be said. Some of it I
included. Speech was supposed to be short, 5-7 min.

jeanette

Thank you, Minister
Nitin Desai,
Markus Kummer,
Ladies and Gentlement

I'd like to share with you a little story that I will take home from the
forum:

It happened on Tuesday while I was moderating a workshop. Although it
was late, the room was nonetheless packed and all chairs were taken. A
few minutes after the workshop started, somebody from the German Foreign
Office walked into the room, and since no chair was left, she chose to
sit on the floor – on the floor, I should add, of temporary UN territory.

So, what makes this a symbolic incident? It is the striking difference
to the seating order we are used to from WSIS but also from other
intergovernmental processes.

The forum has no seating order,
•	there are no tables for delegations with nameplates on it and above all
•	there are no time slots for non-governmental actors. Governments have
queued jointly with civil society and private sector in order to take
the floor.

The forum offers the great opportunity to experiment with new formats of
communication and consensus building crossing all sorts of geographical,
cultural, sectoral and political boundaries. The secretariat and the
chair haven taken great effort to maximize the speaking time not only
for panellists but particularely for the audience.

The great innovation we have been witnessing here is the setting up of a
global talk shop in the most constructive sense. The fact that the forum
has no mandate to make binding decisions is the very precondition for
equity among the stakeholders who attend this meeting.

However, in order to make good use of the forum, it is vital that all
stakeholders recognize and adopt this new venue as an innovative place
of policy making.

•	While it is good that governments attend the forum with the intention
to listen, it is important that they also practically engage with civil
society and work on concrete solutions.
•	And while it is good that the private sector is present and shows its
willingness for dialogue, we hope that industry will reach out to other
corporations and strengthen particularly participation from developing
countries.
•	And while it is good to meet again so many friends from the WSIS
process here in Athens, we need to keep in mind that there would be many
more people attending from civil society if we could provide them with
funding. In order to make the forum a truly open space for
participation, it is necessary for all of us to find financial support
for those who lack the means to come here.

In closing I would like to bring to your attention a few thoughts
regarding the future Forum meetings that have been considered among
civil society participants. We have' been wondering about how to
strengthen the output orientation of the forum and how to ensure that
the forum will become also practically relevant.

It has been suggested
•	To reduce the number of overarching themes and focus more on specific
issues such as capacity building and access.
•	Also, the forum should provide sufficient space to get into the
details of these issues and
•	The forum should encourage the development of practical solutions –
both in workshops but also in dynamic coalitions
•	Such practical solutions should be put on public records of the forum.
•	In so doing, the bottom process can gain some official recognition,
which in turn may make it easier for all stakeholders to participate and
learn, to quote Nitin Desai, "holding hands" also in between annual
meetings of the forum.

While it seems unlikely that civil society ever embraces the idea of
arranged marriages, all people I have talked to here in the last days
see great potential in the forum for developing concrete solutions for
the challenges we face in the field of Internet Governance.

Personally I am very proud of having being part of this process. On
behalf of the civil society groups I'd like to thank the host country to
make this meeting possible, but also the secretariat and the chair for
their hard work. We are looking forward to fruitful dialogues, both
online and face to face, in the year to come, and to the next forum
meeting.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org