[governance] ITU IG Resolution

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Nov 30 18:04:46 EST 2006

>Milton Mueller wrote:
>>2. The problem is that we need to find a point of leverage, which may
>>or may not come from working within normal policy processes. The
>>blocking power of one sovereign, USG, is not easily ignored or bypoassed
>>in these international institutions. By way of contrast, the free
>>software movement has gained leverage over the policy debate regarding
>>its issues by creating its own institution -- the general public license
>>-- embodying its values. Are there analogues that could be pursued in
>>the IG arena?
>
>More good thoughts.  In answer to Milton, I think we need to seek to
>institutionalise this leverage in the structures and processes of
>the IGF.  Not easy, but the gentle pressure of our CS
>representatives on the Advisory Group will be key, together with
>public and persistent communication with Nitin and the IGF
>Secretariat.  The desired outcome, as I see it, is that USG (or
>other) unilateralism in policy development will become politically
>more expensive than to engage in the IGF's multi-stakeholder
>process, in which CS already has (but must entrench and solidify) a
>stronger position than it has in traditional governmental and
>intergovernmental fora.

If we do ask In MAG I expect we will be told that enhanced
cooperation and IGF are separate processes (we've asked before and
been told that.) The Tunis Agenda made them so. But it may not be a
waste of breathe to ask again (it doesn't hurt to ask), but just for
timing it would be better to take it up in the MAG at the same time
as sending a letter from the caucus to Nitin about enhanced
cooperation.

Personally, I would prefer to keep enhanced cooperation away from
IGF, ICANN sucks the life out of good things.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org