[governance] Transition

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Tue May 2 09:32:32 EDT 2006

Vittoria, Avri and others,

I want to clarify that from my perspective the recent discussion has not
been about one coordinator or two, or about Avri as a single
coordinator, but rather to surface some of the underlying tensions and
issues concerning "Internet Governance" and its larger policy context
(including the mode of operation of this caucus), which have been
simmering in the background (and occasionally in the foreground) for
much of the life of this caucus.

To my mind the development of a charter would go a considerable distance
to addressing a number of those issues.

MG

-----Original Message-----
From: governance-bounces at lists.cpsr.org
[mailto:governance-bounces at lists.cpsr.org] On Behalf Of Vittorio Bertola
Sent: May 2, 2006 2:12 PM
To: Avri Doria
Cc: Internet Governance Caucus
Subject: Re: [governance] Transition

Avri Doria ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> i think it might mean the loss of the IGC and its history and the
> role it has been able to achieve.
> or what might happen, is that some people will go off and start
> working on the new working group, while the rest of the people stay
> on IGC and eventually figure it out.
 >
 > but of course, someone can do this anytime, it does not take a  >
decision of the IGC for someone to go off and start something new.

Sorry, possibly I didn't explain well what I meant. The new working
group would work out a charter *for the IGC*, not for a new entity; it
would then get back to the list to get the charter approved. The
objecive of my proposal was just to get out of the deadlock due to the
lack of consensus on your appointment as "single coordinator" - not to
start anything new!