[governance] Volunteers - 4 more to go

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 09:22:28 EST 2006

hello,
a couple of points below.

--- Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> wrote:

> hi,
>

> On 29 mar 2006, at 15.53, Izumi AIZU wrote:
>
> > Now we have reached to 21, just 4 more volunteers to go.
> >
> > How about, offering a glass of beer or wine, to the 25th person?

SNIP>

> also, i need to worry about what happens if we reach 25 today and
> then one or two people drop out tomorrow?  I need to be at 25 when
> lock in the drawing with the numbers i get on line on 1 April.

I thought, Avri, that you were optimistic, and i am pessimistic (i,
for example, wouldn't trust fate that much to do the right thig:)).

> but incentives are nice.  so if we get to 30 volunteers, i will buy
> bottle of wine for the 6th person chosen in the random draw.

now i'm in a fix whether to book for the 25th volunteer, or for the
30th hoping in the same time to be the 6th to be drawn :)

> a.

My points are the following.
First, I've been strugling to conciliate some other aspect of civism
as i see it, with the only one that has, seemingly, been invoked so
far. I usually volunteer for something not for the sake of filling a
hole and making a process work while hoping not to make it through,
but I volunteer when I'm eager to be chosen, and above all, prepared
to do the actual job - so I look forward to that outcome as a
success. On that point, I've been having some doubt as the current
few weeks are _the_ pick period of the semester for me in all the
activities i'm inviolved in.

Second maybe I should tell you this. The African civil society,
organized under the name of ACSIS, has been discussing candidates to
the MAG. I happen to be with Ken the only nominees so far (by ACSIS
President, seconded by another member). (Note: for those here who are
also subscribed to the Africas-WSIS list, this has taken place among
the ACSIS steering group, or what we also call extended cabinet, not
yet on the broader list, and the process is not closed yet.) All
things remaining the same, that means if Ken, who has already
volunteered, and I happen to be of the happy 5 chosen for the nomcom,
which is still possible, it will deprive the IGC of supporting the
two significant nominees ACSIS has to offer, if it wanted to. Indeed,
for some reasons, I thought it is desirable that the two groups
coordinate (contrary to the way things happened in the past) so that
the two lists of cabdidates cohere, in case IGC is concerned with any
geographical distribution, instead having to look for other
candidates from our region (you may also notice that we don't have a
plethora of them ready for a "meaningful articipation").

However, I realize that being on the nomcom does not prevent any one
to be nominated by other stakeholder groups.

All that being said, I'm honoured to volunteer to the pool of the 25
minimum required to proceed with the nomcom process.

Mawaki
P.S. on another note, as i just remember from the top of my head that
we were having some problem to devise the way forward for IGC in
terms of structuration, and at that time there were also the idea for
form a nomcom for a reason i don't clearly remember now (or am i
being confused bu the "malin génie" (evil genius?).  anyway, if that
might be helpful, instead of having this nomcom as a one shot stuff
for the only purpose of the MAG, can't it be used, maybe after april
18, to cater for the other need as well (which would also means
extension of its mandate, and i can hear people saying we don't
change the rules during the process). anyway, just an idea...