[governance] igc nomcom and other lists

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Tue Mar 28 02:41:29 EST 2006

Danny Butt ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> I'm not worried by an IGC nomcom member's selection in the MAG
> through another means, and wouldn't see it as discrediting the
> process. Should the situation arise and an individual is worried, I
> think they can step down from anything they think might be affecting
> their reputation.

Hi,

being one of the people in the "hypothetical" situation (yes, this is a
disclosure) and having raised the issue with Avri and discussed it
extensively with some caucus people in the last few days... I still
don't know what to do.

I agree with you and see no incompatibility between the two things, but
at the same time, while chatting, some caucus people (not all!) have
defined the idea of me being recommended elsewhere while serving on the
IGC Nomcom as "cheating" and "not playing on the same level". And I do
see why - I understand that the "nomcom as a civic duty" idea presumes
that some random people will have to renounce to (to put it bluntly)
personal ambitions to allow the process to go forward.

On the other hand, the proposal of turning down nominations by other
groups is not particularly feasible, at least for me. It is not so easy
to go to, say, a member of the Italian Parliament, that has been
supporting you for the last two years and spending some energy to gather
public support for you, and saying "I'm sorry, I have to give up at the
last minute because of this other group of people randomly picking me
for a nomcom" - also knowing that they would have no other credible
nominee to put forward.

In any case, I clearly perceive in some members of the caucus to whom
I've been talking (again, not all of them, and I wouldn't know whether
it's many or few) the idea that if you don't volunteer for the nomcom,
then you don't deserve in any case to be nominated for the MAG. If
taking the "risk" (again, I wouldn't call it so, it would be a honour to
serve in this capacity) of being selected for the nomcom is a
prerequisite to have reasonable chances for nomination through this
process, then this should be said clearly to all civil society
participants, including those who don't follow this list and maybe are
not even caring about this process yet, but will do in a couple of weeks
when it comes to actual nominations.

I would tend to volunteer for the IGC nomcom while keeping the option to
be nominated elsewhere, but I must say it already looks as a negative
situation for me whatever I do. So perhaps it is the entire idea of
"nomcom as civic duty" that doesn't work very well.