[governance] [WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: IG Public policy issues - approx 7 days left to deadline.. [March 31/06]

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat Mar 25 05:52:02 EST 2006

Hello,

I fully support both Adam and Ian and I am also in favour of a broader approach. We should push in particular for "Parallel Workshops" in the four day meeting so that we can have broad variety of subjects discussed during the forum. However we should be realistic and see that governments will  have a majority in the MAG. It remains to be seen what can be achieved directly within the MAG.

On way to circumvent partly the possible restrictions could be to organize an independent pre-conference. As you know Peng Hwa and I are organizing a joint ICA-IAMCR Academic Internet Governance Symposium in June 2006 in Rathen/Dresden in Germany. One objective of this symposium  as I said already during the open IGF consultations in February in Geneva is to launch a network of academic institutions dealing with "Internet Governance". Such an "enhanced academic communication" will certainly feed the IGF process. On my way to Wellington I stopped over in Singapore yesterday and had a very constructive meeting with Peng Hwa and Randy. Among others we will propose in Dresden that the main deliverable of the new academic IG network will an annual academic IGF Pre-Conference. Such a move would us enable to select and discuss issues independent from the official process.

Best regards

wolfgang