[governance] IG Public policy issues - approx 7 days left to deadline.. [March 31/06]

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Mar 24 03:56:52 EST 2006

Comments below:

At 7:54 AM +0100 3/24/06, William Drake wrote:
>Hi Ian,

Bill, yes, I think it's a matter of principle.

Email I sent to the MMWG list last month explains a little more fully
(not much!) below.

At 2:26 AM +0900 3/2/06, Adam Peake (ajp at glocom.ac.jp) wrote:

>Next:  we should begin by saying we *do not* accept the idea that
>the forum should consider just three issues (this year... I think at
>one point Mr. Desai said there would be chance for another three
>next year -- or something similar to that. Terrible.)
>
>Very clear that this idea of three issues is not in keeping with the
>mandate of the IGF: para 72 absolutely does not limit the number of
>issues IGF should consider, on contrary it calls on the forum to
>consider a broad range of issues and undertake a wide range of
>tasks/functions <
><http://www.intgovforum.org/about.htm>http://www.intgovforum.org/about.htm>.
>
>Can understand why Mr. Desai would like to limit the number (it is
>convenient from a practical/organizational point of view) but any
>such limitation is not what governments asked for, and (with the
>greatest of respect :-) it's not Mr. Desai's job to redefine the
>Forum's mandate.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Adam

So I'm not keen on us prioritizing issues. At least not without a
statement to say that IGF should be open to potential discussion of
all themes.

Practically of course we have to suggest something. And as you say if
proposing multiple themes then a proposal of how to handle those
themes in discussion might be good. The format used for the UN ICT
Task Force's meeting on Internet Governance (march of 2004?) is a
possible model: plenary discussion on broadest of issues, break out
into discussion groups on thematic issues (attendees self select
which to join), reporting of breakouts to plenary (breakouts that
have support/life to them, continue as working groups.)  I don't mean
to suggest anything restrictive here, just thoughts... But can see
such a format as the beginning of a process of discussion/involvement.

I've not followed some discussion well recently: any agreement on how
we will present themes, a long list of suggestions, or theme +
description of why considered important?

Adam