[governance] Purpose and mandate of the MAG ?

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Thu Mar 23 10:02:39 EST 2006

Hi Bertrand,

To be clear, I didn't suggest you'd become a proxy for the industrialized countries and business, I said that what you listed as the MAG's functions is consistent with what they would want it to do.  Not quite the same thing, no dark intentionality implied, and I did add that perhaps your omission of the ongoing process/working groups formulation was just an oversight.  I gather it was, so I'm glad you clarified, and yes, based on your response, we are indeed on the same page.

On your new points, I too would favor the facilitator orientation for the MAG, with the caveat that this could leave it more open to political monkeying around by the big dogs than if it had some small measure of independent authority.  On the other hand, realistically, anything the MAG recommends will have to be approved by the powers that be anyway.  This means, inter alia, that pressing the case for the ongoing process/working groups formulation will take some work, the arguments for will have to be nicely laid out so that the approach cannot be dismissed out of hand on the basis of misrepresentations, i.e. CS is pushing for a big heavy machinery with budgetary implications, etc.  We already got a taste of that, big time, in the February consultation, and one should anticipate more of the same.  The only tool at our disposal is soft power, so it will be essential that CS participants in the MAG can articulate the vision and respond in a cogent and diplomatic way to the push back that will come.

Cheers,

Bill