[governance] WSIS principles and conferences

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Tue Mar 21 10:36:44 EST 2006

Danny Butt ha scritto:
> 1) My understanding is that we have no delegated mandate to make the
> CS selections as Vittorio pointed out. If we put forward a group of
> 15 names for 10 positions, we cannot ensure e.g. geographic or gender
> diversity anyway. I think the process for putting names forward
> should be lightweight and inclusive rather than exclusive.
>
> 2) Milton's suggestion for direct selection of participants (rather
> than a nomcom) via RFC3797 could easily exclude valuable people by
> random outcome - the idea should be that we get the best people
> possible forward. Maybe the nomcom is the only way to resolve this.

I agree - RFC3797 is acceptable to appoint a "randomized" Nomcom, but
not to make the actual appointments.

More generally speaking, I totally support the need for balance, but I
also point out that we have only a partial view of the overall balance
and desired skills of the IGF-AG. I think that we should put forward a
list that includes 15-20 individuals, so that then the UN SG can pick
the ones that most suit his own ideas of balance and appropriate skills
(not ours).

However, if possible (i.e. if we can broadly agree on the Nomcom and
procedure) I would try to do some "pruning" of the nominees list, rather
than forwarding 30 or 40 names, which would more or less be equivalent
to not forwarding any. I think that, with 10 positions to be filled,
15-20 is the right size. But I do agree with you that if the Nomcom
process ends up being too controversial, then it's better not to have any.

At the same time, let's not be upset if other groups will push for their
own names separately. Again, we have a well respected credibility as the
main CS gathering for the IGF and we should definitely use it, but we
can't pretend to be speaking for everyone in the world.