[governance] A process suggestion for IGF nominations

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Tue Mar 21 06:01:05 EST 2006

Hi,

Ian Peter wrote:
> Here's a process suggestion from here.
>
> We have two good names for a nomcom in David and Danny. Two more that don’t
> raise widespread objection, and I suggest we declare a nomcom in existence.

I would prefer a larger pool of volunteers, if possible including also
former wgig members from which the nomcom members could be chosen. As
Avri has pointed out, the IETF chooses nomcom members randomly. This
sounds like a fair procedure to me.

Since Avri has a lot of organizational experience in the area of nomcom
structures, I would like to nominate her as chair of the nomcom (perhaps
as non-voting chair so that process issues won't be mixed up with
selecting candidates).

> Then we have to agree on their task. I suggest it is to submit a raft of no
> more than 35 names to IGF process.

I feel a bit uneasy about such a high number of nominees. 35 nominees
would mean that we relinquish the power to select people almost entirely
to the SG or the secretariat. Notwithstanding the fact that each cs
group has the right and is encouraged to suggest single or slates of
candidates, we should try to prioritize our candidates. I would
therefore suggest that we ask the nomcom to nominate between 15 and max.
20 people.

To qualify, a nominated party should meet
> some specific criteria. I would make the first one that the person can
> effectively represent civil society on IGF and present the diversity of
> viewpoints within civil society. Other criteria could be developed and
> suggested (and have been already).

In the context of selecting WGIG members we once put together a list of
criteria. I could dig it up if people are interested.

jeanette