[governance] IGF Advisory Group

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Mar 17 12:21:17 EST 2006

Avri Doria ha scritto:
> 1. i think that reaching out as we did for wgig is a good idea and i
> suggest we dust off the old material and update it and use the same
> process to solicit candidates from throughout CS

I would expect much broader interest among civil society groups than
last time.
In any case, I wouldn't expect this to be the only CS nomination process
- we can't stop anyone from making nominations - but perhaps we can hope
to make this the most credible and respected one.

> 2. i think that using a nominating committee is a good idea.

I am not totally sure about this, as it will as usual be challenged as a
clique trying to capture the mechanism etc. - however I think that it's
the only feasible thing in such a short term, so I support it.

>     - i suggest that anyone who wants to volunteer for this submit
> their name and that, assuming we have
>       more then 10 people willing to be on a nominating committee and
> thus willing to exclude themselves
>       from the IGF-MAG, we use a randomized process to pick the 10
> volunteers from the group.
>       this can be done in at least two ways (the extremes are list
> below):
>          - a trusted person picks the names out of a hat.
>          - we use a process, e.g. the transparent, repeatable process
> to be found in RFC3797
>            "Publicly Verifiable Nominations Committee (NomCom) Random
> Selection"
>            found at:
>            http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3797.txt

I particularly like this idea, and using RFC3797 would be a good thing,
also for the symbolic value it would have.

>     - i think the nominating committee should have a coordinator -
> who is also disqualified from serving
>       on the MAG and who will not have a nominating committee vote in
> selecting the candidates
>
> Note, while i don't think that WGIG members should be disqualified
> from serving on the MAG, i do think we should look beyond these
> regulars and recommend that WGIG members consider volunteering for
> nominating committee selection, if we go this way.

I would also go the other way, e.g. encourage people from outside the
usual caucus activists to apply as NomCom members - this might help to
see people from different angles. In any case, all of us should engage
in some outreach to find both potential NomCom members and potential
IGF-AG members.