[governance] IGF Advisory Group

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Fri Mar 17 11:53:26 EST 2006

On 16 mar 2006, at 15.16, Carlos Afonso wrote:

> Geezzzz.... strange discussions will start again... a pre-WGIG dèja
> vu ;)

yeah but, we have some experience to go on.

1. i think that reaching out as we did for wgig is a good idea and i
suggest we dust off the old material and update it and use the same
process to solicit candidates from throughout CS

2. i think that using a nominating committee is a good idea.
    - but i think this should be constituted before we start
soliciting nominations for the IGF-MAG.
    - i think volunteers should be people willing to disqualify
themselves from selection
      for the IGF-MAG
    - i suggest we pick a number, for example 5, as the number for
the nominating committee
    - i suggest that the call for nominating committee members be
sent out on the plenary list.
    - i suggest that anyone who wants to volunteer for this submit
their name and that, assuming we have
      more then 10 people willing to be on a nominating committee and
thus willing to exclude themselves
      from the IGF-MAG, we use a randomized process to pick the 10
volunteers from the group.
      this can be done in at least two ways (the extremes are list
below):
         - a trusted person picks the names out of a hat.
         - we use a process, e.g. the transparent, repeatable process
to be found in RFC3797
           "Publicly Verifiable Nominations Committee (NomCom) Random
Selection"
           found at:
           http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3797.txt
    - i think the nominating committee should have a coordinator -
who is also disqualified from serving
      on the MAG and who will not have a nominating committee vote in
selecting the candidates

Note, while i don't think that WGIG members should be disqualified
from serving on the MAG, i do think we should look beyond these
regulars and recommend that WGIG members consider volunteering for
nominating committee selection, if we go this way.

just some thoughts to get us talking about specifics.

a.