[governance] identity - an IG-related issue that crosses boundaries

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 12:02:24 EST 2006

I hope it doesn't hurt to have an eye on other threads while
discussing the priorities for the IGF.

A question Bertrand:

--- Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/10/06, Garth Graham <garth.graham at telus.net> wrote:
> >

> > "in the longer term, "Internet governance is not about governance
> 'of'
> > the Internet. It's governance 'by' the Internet."
>

> Actually, you could distinguish three different aspects :
> - governance OF the Internet (the typical DNS and scarce resources
> question)
> - governance ON the Internet (rules and processes for activities
> conducted
> on the Internet)
> - and, governance IN THE AGE of the Internet (or also TROUGH the
> Internet
> and other electronic tools)
>
> The later seems to me what you mean by governance BY the Internet.
> But the
> word "by" evokes a submission to the instrument rather than the
> empowerment.
> You probably could also say governance VIA the Internet or even
>  "Internet-supported governance".
>
> This broader dimension addresses how the emergence of the global
> network is
> giving birth to a new global polity. This polity needs governance
> mechanisms
> as different from the traditional representative democracy of the
> industrial
> age as representative democracy itself was from the feudal and
> monarchic
> regimes of the agricultural age.

If the difference in you mind is net and clear between those two
types of democracy ("the traditional representative of the industrial
age" and the "representative democracy (...) from the feudal and
monarchic regimes of the agricultural age"), please I would like to
hear about it, thanks.

Mawaki

What we have come to call