[governance] Going forward - Role of the governance caucus

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Mar 12 11:32:22 EST 2006

hi,

I think that the multiple voices of CS is good and think it will be
the case even if the IGC gets its act together in the direction of SQ
+, i.e. if we achieve the ability to publish IGC rough consensus
positions.  Just because the IGC comes to a consensus position does
not then stop any other group from also making a statement.  I think
that the IGC will normally end up representing a centrist CS position
given the diversity of participation in the IGC.  And I believe that
while the IGC can represent CS positions, it can not ever claim to
actually represent CS.  I think that is one of the important
distinctions which we pretty much all probably accept.  Though
representing centrist CS positions is probably a worthwhile thing in
and of itself.  In other words, the EU model for the IGC is probably
not such a bad thing.

I think that if the caucus at large wants to make a statement by the
end of March, it needs to start drafting soon.  I think we have heard
several threads, from the importance of the development perspective
as cross cutting to specific recommendations for Spam, right to
communicate (i anticipate wit certain trepidation the discussions
over this right) and liberalizing telecoms.  I think I agree about 3
or 20, as long as the list is prioritized it will probably be a
worthwhile contribution to the discussion.  I personally don't know
how many topics the IGF can handle in its first meeting, but we are
talking about a 5 year process, so I expect many topics will be
covered over the life of the forum.  I do think that it is important
that, as McTim did, we explain why a topic is both important for the
IGF and tractable within the IGF.

a.