[governance] identity - an IG-related issue that crosses boundaries

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Fri Mar 10 16:24:05 EST 2006

Shortly after stumbling into the global conversation on IG, I began
to say something in my attempts to synthesis that conversation for
the community networking groups I work with.  I began to say that, in
the longer term, "Internet governance is not about governance 'of'
the Internet. It's governance 'by' the Internet."  In winkling out
examples of what I meant by that, today I encountered the following
excellent presentation on a key governance issue  - the expression of
identity:

Identity 2.0, by Dick Hardt, Founder & CEO, Sxip Identity, O'Reilly
Open Source convention, August 4, 2005.
http://www.identity20.com/media/OSCON2005/

"...as the online world moves towards Web 2.0, the concept of digital
identity is evolving and existing identity systems are faltering. New
systems are emerging that center identity around the user instead of
a directory,..."

Hardt is making a prediction that simple and open "user centric"
identity is inevitable.  If anything is close to the heart of IG in
the sense that I meant, it's the issue of how participation in an
online world changes our personal need to control the expression of
identity.  If Hardt is right (and I hope he is), then beyond IG Forum/
Caucus process issues, identity is an issue where civil society
voices from within the Information Society must play a strong
advocacy role.

GG
Telecommunities Canada