[governance] right to development, the structure of IGC and IG issues for march deadline

John Mathiason jrmathia at maxwell.syr.edu
Thu Mar 9 07:52:06 EST 2006

Just an addition to the debate.  One reason that the "right to
development" has been controversial is that it is often seen as a
collective, rather than an individual right.  Human rights have
usually been seen as pertaining to individuals rather than
collectivities.  The issue becomes complicated if a collective right
(say, national security) can be seen as trumping an individual right
(say, right to free expression).

John