[governance] right to development, the structure of IGC and IG issues for march deadline

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Thu Mar 9 04:31:35 EST 2006

Vittorio Bertola wrote:
> So even if you agree that a right to development exists, how do you
> decide what that means in practice, and what's the best thing to do to
> support development, and whether that involves more "intervention of the
> state" or rather less of it?

You don't. I don't. We don't. We get the input of people who have this
Right (and, I suppose, ignore those who don't... haha...) and each state
does what it thinks is best because the very nature of the question you
ask is covered by the Right of Development.

BUT... problems that do arise (and they already exist or we wouldn't be
here) there has to be a group which helps resolve the conflicts. For
example, does Brazil have the right to make U.S. based corporation's
patented pharmaceuticals at a lower cost within the country to allow
Brazilians to live? While that example is beyond the context of ICT and
perhaps WSIS, it is heavily linked to patent issues which are present in
the WSIS process but largely ignored because... well, who ran that
process anyway?

When UN member nations have problems, they are supposed to work within
the UN structure to deal with the problem - that's what the UN is
supposed to be for. Defending a Right to Development could be considered
much the same thing. Consider the Right to Development when it comes to
nuclear energy - the present case with Iran. Iran does have a Right to
develop nuclear energy, but since that development is considered to be a
potential infringement on the Rights of other nations (especially with
sentiments recently expressed). Iran's Right to Develop nuclear energy
exists, but to use it they have to assure the rest of the world that
they aren't going to do anything naughty with it.

I don't see why the same couldn't be done in this context. In fact, in a
different context, it's already being done - thought there is certainly
room for improvement.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
cnd at knowprose.com

Looking for contracts/work!
http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com