[governance] right to development, the structure of IGC and IG issues for march deadline

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Tue Mar 7 14:26:25 EST 2006

Milton,

If you genuinely want to understand what the "right to development"
is - and till now I've considered that trying to "picture" it the way
you did in previous messages is not a good starting point for
discussion or even for request for more information -, then you may
start by understanding the historical framework of HR, that there are
what is called "generations" of HR:

- 1st generation (roughly, civil and political rights) are rights of
the _individual_ vis-a-vis the power (now the state or the government).
- 2nd generation (roughly, economic, social and cultural rights) are
more _collective_ rights, and are sometimes referred to as "claim-
rights". Rather than being affirmed against the power, they need the
positive intervention of the state (through dedicated public
policies, specially in the economic and social fields) to be
realized. 2nd generation because they are supposed to ensure the
actual benefit of 1st generation rights.
- 3rd generation (like the "right to development", "right to peace
and security", "right to a sustainable environment", "rights to
peoples' self-determination", etc. - not all of them necessarily
formally recognized by a UN declaration) are rather seen as
_solidarity_ rights, and most of the time intended neither as rights
of an individual, nor rights of a group of individuals identified by
their economic/social status (e.g. workers), but as rights of
communities or peoples (e.g. indigeneous peoples), supposed to create
the necessary conditions for the implementation of 1st and 2nd
generation rights).

Yes, there is a debate on this concept of "3rd generation rights",
with, roughly speaking, those who think they are rights (like 1st and
2nd generation rights) and other who think they are political demands
(some may even call them "ideological"...). Both categories have pros
and cons, and it can reasonably be argued that recognized "rights"
have started by being only "political demands". In any case, they are
by no mean a right that someone could claim for himself against a
State. In this sense, it is meaningless to talk about "someone in a
poor country, say Sudan, [who] petitions a nation state (or something
as vague as a "global system") for their "right to development"".

It remains that the "right to development" has been formally
universally recognized (cf. the link I provided to you in a previous
message). And that, if we ever want to discuss (on this list) how an
IG decision is compliant or not with the "right to development", then
it would be interesting to ask ourselves questions like e.g. how
telecom interconnection costs between different parts of the world
impact the development of a given part of the world, and whether this
is compliant with the (State binding) right to development. If we
find, by chance, that this is not entirely compliant, then we may
find here an international legal basis to put the issue on the table
(I haven't said that this will solve the problem: if it was enough to
declare a right, sign on it and be bound by it to respect it, we
would have been aware of this).

Sorry about the language which is certainly not the right one here: I
don't feel comfortable enough in English when discussing these
matters/field, and I'm not sure all this makes sense, as it is mainly
roughly translated from my French thoughts...

Meryem