[governance] Annan to establish international forum on internet governance

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Tue Mar 7 00:48:58 EST 2006

Veni Markovski wrote:
> At 07:46 AM 03.3.2006 '?.'  -0800, Danny Younger wrote:
>
>> At the ICANN Board level consensus no longer matters.
>> This attitude renders independent evaluations (such as
>> the GNSO Review being conducted by the London School
>> of Economics) as irrelevant.  The ICANN Board will
>> simply do whatever it wants to do regardless of
>> informed advice or community consensus.
>>

> That's a very brave statement, but I am afraid it's not quite
> precise. You build asumption on your reading of facts. They can be
> read differently.

For the record, I agree with Danny (and Vittorio) on this. Certainly,
explaining it away as 'building assumption on your reading of facts' is
true, but the argument is easily reversible. ICANN is just as guilty of
the same at a meta level in aspects of non-technical matters. Giving
credit for the technical side needs to balance that - I think ICANN has
been doing a wonderful technical job, but even so it needs to be
balanced with a 'wonderful' on the building of consensus. This is not a
criticism of people, this is a criticism of structure as defined by the
antiquated structures which ICANN has to deal with and be a part of.
Still, if you want to say that there will be change, one must start
somewhere.

By the nature of the structure of ICANN, crude estimations are possible
but implausible, despite the creation of various boards. What I find
profoundly inadequate are the very boards themselves when ICANN can - if
it chooses - give every interested party a choice without all the human
filters in between. It's amazing how distillation can be used to refine
things such as alcohol, but if you're looking for water and the
apparatus is set for alcohol, don't be surprised if you get a hangover
from the clear fluid you drink.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
cnd at knowprose.com

Looking for contracts/work!
http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com