[governance] VS: Going forward - Role of the governance caucus [3options]

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Sun Mar 5 17:19:19 EST 2006

Thanks also Bill for some useful distinctions. I agree with much of
the analysis and also support the status quo at an organisational level.

The range of positions under civil society makes it very difficult to
support effective organisational coherence without a lot of resources
put into finding common ground (meetings and the like). What was that
research released the other week - 50% of all email has its tone
misinterpreted? That seems to operate a lot on most lists and the
diversity of inputs only exacerbates it here. I think a more formal
organisation risks becoming a quasi-open resource sink in an ICANNish
way - not enough resources to do a great job, enough that  it needs
to make decisions to maintain itself that might conflict with some of
its supporters.

That's not to say that we have to keep the status quo at a process
level. I mentioned before some infrastructural support. I do think a
wiki-like environment for drafting could be a big help (in being able
to encompass a range of positions). Also, having a place where
previous statements can be easily accessed and compared would be
useful. My main frustration on the list is not with differences of
opinion, but with the feeling that we are sometimes trying to resolve
substantial differences in our whole orientation to Internet
Governance under intense time pressure, and not always making the
most of previous work. If we can collectively build a base of
understanding or language outside of specific deadlines I think it
will be easier for us to draw on that to make specific, consistent
(if not representative) statements.

Regards

Danny

--