[governance] Mandatory and non-mandatory governance

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Sat Mar 4 22:53:04 EST 2006

Having been involved - well, it still continues - in the creation of the
basic range of software in the Cambodian language (user interface),
including the facility to also use the Khmer script which poses a number
of complicated challenges for the devices, and for the rendering on
screen and on print, I am happy to see this "distinction between things
that do and do not need global governance to be important and useful."

There are some things which are difficult to define in terms of "global
governance" of the Internet, but which still have some "global
implications" - and in spite of all the Geneva WSIS lip service
prominently in the first paragraph about a "commitment to build a
people-centered, inclusive and development-oriented Information Society,
where everyone can create, access, utilize and share information and
knowledge" - there is not much international assistance available when
you try to do it in a language like Khmer which has a great cultural
history of one thousand years (but is now at home in a small,
economically impoverished country). It took us years to get UNICODE for
Khmer established, and the opinion of Cambodian linguists were NOT the
basis to decide some aspects of the final UNICODE standard.  After the
UNICODE standard was finalized, the localization of software could
start, a very labor-intensive and expensive process which requires high
level technical expertize, and a group of people translating the 50,000
or so lines before an office suite works in Khmer, and before a manual
in Khmer is created and printed for it (for a small market - that is why
the big commercials are not investing in it). We use Open Source
applications, some time later this year also to run on a localized Khmer
Linux distribution.

It is extremely difficult to fund all these things - though they are a
prerequisite for any "people-centered information society" in many
countries which do not have the English, or Russian, or Dutch language -
or any other language in a strong economy - as their environment.
Leaving all these problems to be solved locally means - for many
language/script communities - that they are beyond their own economic reach.

All this is normally not considered part of Internet Governance - but it
is one aspect of the Digital Divide where we still "fall through the
net" - and therefore should also get a hearing somewhere in the context
of Internet Governance assisting the creation of the Information Society
WSIS claims to be committed to.

Norbert Klein
Open Forum of Cambodia
Phnom Penh/Cambodia