[governance] VS: [Fwd: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Fri Mar 3 20:14:43 EST 2006

Paul Wilson wrote:

>FYI, the two root servers which have been deployed in Beijing (these are
>anycast copies of the F and I root servers) are each showing normal query
>rates of well over 1000 queries per second.

I see that Vixies vixens are busy putting out the China root fire with
lots of technical mumbo jumbo.  Incidentally - would be wise if you also
elaborated on the fact that 98% of those quries are considered bogus by
you all down there in vixie land.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/05/dud_queries_swamp_us_internet/

>This would certainly seem to indicate that the Internet's root server
>system is not being bypassed, but is in active use by local ISPs and
>Internet users.

No it does not.  I have attached the message I sent your collegue on the
ietf mailing list.  Save me having t repeat myself.  You boys in the
IANA root server business have to start a new chapter this year - maybe
honesty with the public you serve might be a good idea.  Enjoy ---

Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

> To best of my knowledge, that there are no new Chinese root-servers -
> despite what the press says. And at least we have not seen a drop in
> queries to our anycast instance in Beijing yet so there even seems to
> be data to support that...

There are. Check Peter Dambiers messages for details.

As for you claims of data to support this - show us.

First - you won't notice any drop in queries because the china roots
refers all queries concerning NON-CHINESE TLDs back to IANA.

Second - you will notice an increase in what you guys at the roots call
I think illegal or erroneous TLDs - which see

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/05/dud_queries_swamp_us_internet/

Incidentally - since my article was written I have not seen any further
studies concerning root traffic from CAIDA or anyone else.  In fact root
operators don't really share much with the world - do they?

cheers
joe baptista