[governance] Mandatory and non-mandatory governance (Was: China To Launch Alternate Country CodeDomains]

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Fri Mar 3 10:50:04 EST 2006

Peter Dambier wrote:

>Gouvernance is needed. But first we need something to gouvern.
>Every country needs to build their own internet and their own
>root. Then we can think of interconnecting and governing.

Very well said Peter.  And clearly that has happened.  First wth the
china root, and last year as we both know - we helped create the Turkish
root via the Public-Root.  And I heard a little birdy tell me that Saudi
Arabia and Quatar (?sic) are considering their own multilingual internet
with the assistance of the UnifiedRoot pirates.

The general problems with building a good system - like the existing
Public-Root concept - is that so many people in positions of power -
those in this conference included - are so misinformed, so backward in
their understanding of networks and protocol, that maybe - just maybe -
one has to first build the tower of Babel before the twits realize that
the only way to communicate effectively is to come together and share
their data.

One thing I find incredible is that so many here were surprised by the
china announcement, and many more were under the impression this was
"NEWS".  A clear indication those in the know - know not.

This however does not surprise me.  Many here have been briefed by
misinformed people and much of that misinformation is generated by the
ICANN promoters.  Does any old timer here still remember how ICANN
convenced the USG (and every other fool) that they held a monopoly on
the root. That was the biggest crock of shit that almost everyone fell
for.  To think I share a gentic fingerprint with these people is an
embarrassment.

regards
joe baptista