[governance] Burr & Cade: proposal forintroducingmulti-lateral oversight of the root

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Fri Jul 28 18:16:02 EDT 2006

Hi Parminder,

Jumping into pick up on your framework convention points, yes indeed
several of us in IGP pushed hard on it for a while, didin;t get the
traction we hoped for, and have since channged tactics but not taken
back anything we said before.

Speaking for myself, I still see something like that as necessary, but
in policy agenda-setting as you know timing matters. A lot.

So we helped spread the notion, got push back from usual suspect
sources, and lately have been waiting for the dust to settle from some
intermediary policy steps and process developments.

Specifically, until it became clear(er) what the IGF can and cannot do,
was hard to get people to focus beyond IGF which after all is critically
important that its early establishment does not go for naught.

Now, while we can now more clearly see what IGF cannot do, we (and
everyone else so minded) can push the call for a next step, ie the
framework convention.

So maybe we better get our own caucus charter adopted before we propose
a 'charter' for the  world....at least that is my excuse! ; )

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> parminder at itforchange.net 7/28/2006 9:56 AM >>>
Milton

Personal things first.

>  Unless you support the exercise of
> political authority for its own sake (which I sometimes think you
do)

Well, I have some things to say about what I think you do, but lets
agree to
spare this space from such an exchange.

Now to the issue:

>  A humane and just global policy toward name and number resources
will
> not come about by one -- or 180 -- government(s) grabbing onto to a
> centralized chokepoint and fighting over how to exploit its
leverage.

You have been a great campaigner against rhetoric on this list, so why
use
it yourself when this is just not the issue being discussed.

I did not say how the policy will come, I said all political authority
-
legitimate or not - needs some strong levers of power, even if as a
reserve
power of last resort, to be meaningful. This is a simple statement of
fact.
Do you, with your knowledge of public affairs, think this is untrue?

US knows quite well how to assert its political interests, and it
thinks RTZ
control is one key. And any other political authority (hopefully more
legitimate) will seek its levers of assertion.

And I also said in my email that I do not insist that this control is
the
only way to exercise political oversight. And that RTZ control is one
of
many ways by which authority has been exercised over ICANN.

> OTOH, if govts cant agree on global policies, let them get the hell
out
> of the process. IGP was for a long time advocating a framework
> convention as a starting point precisely for this reason.

Yes, herein lies the main issue. I have been supporting IGP's effort
till
you were advocating a framework convention (In fact my organization
prepared
a submission for gender caucus on basis of IGP's framework convention
proposal). But why are you NOT advocating it now? What changed
meanwhile?
I'd be very interested to know.

>From a very political stance on IG, why has IGP's stance gone
apolitical.
ICANN should be rid from US control, and then it shd hang in the air??
Doing
some kind of self political control....

Political power is always being exercised whether we formalize it or
not.
And you are an academician and you know it well. If US control goes
away,
whatever it means, does political power in internet governance
disappears.
It still resides with powerful dominant interests.

If you have given up advocacy for a framework convention or some other
significant political innovation beyond the present structures then you
may
be fine with the present political controls. I am very much not so....

That is the difference between your politics and mine, you may think
Internet is fine in hands of its present political masters (minus the
more
visible controls by the US gov), I think Internet needs a very
different
political mandate and thereby a different political oversight/control.

The 'politics of the apolitical' is an interesting issue. In India the
middle classes have a great aversion to politics. They think it is the
root
of all evil in India. And they never cease attempts to disguise
political
issues as apolitical. The basic issue is simple, existing structures
work
for them, and those who are excluded press for greater structural
changes,
and this is dangerous to their entrenched positions.

>Whose political authority? This is the other huge gap in your
thinking.

US gov and some private interests at present, and whoever is able to
get it
or a part of it, later on.  About gaps in thinking, please refer to
para 1
above.

> Who has legitimate political power over public policy issues related
> the Internet?

A difficult question, but it is there and cant be brushed aside.
Because
someone is meanwhile exercising illegitimate power. And the status quo
is
more problematic to some than to others.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
91-80-26654134
www.ITforChange.net

RZF
> modifications comes to this: Attempting to set policy by hanging on
> the ability to manipulate a file that ensures global interoperability
is
> not a good thiing. It is a dysfunctional, unhealthy and
unconstructive

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org