[governance] charter 1.5

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Jul 28 07:23:57 EDT 2006

On 28 jul 2006, at 00.13, David Goldstein wrote:

> Can someone explain why the capital "I" is used for
> "internet"? Internet is a noun, so unless we're naming
> something like the "Internet Governance Caucus" it
> should be a small "i".

As I understand it (in the briefest of ways) 'internet' a general
term and 'Internet' is a proper name.

an internet is a network or networks.  there can be many internets,
some public some private,  some relatively local or regional and some
global.

Internet on the other hand, is the proper name given to the publicly
accessed network of networks where all hosts have have end to end
reachability, a common naming system, a (more or less) global
addressing system and based for the most part on IP protocols.

a.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org