[governance] Re: Burr & Cade: proposal for introducing multi-lateral oversight of the root

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 27 10:01:46 EDT 2006

At 1:12 PM +0200 7/26/06, Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:
>Sith the Tunis summit ICANN got what it wanted: Its inernational recognition as a multistakeholder organisation but with the burden to finish its hom,ework and to move foreward in an undifend process of "enhanced cooperation".

How one understands the historical outcome - in this case, Tunis in November - quite shapes prospects going forward.  Rather than this interpretation, some see November as the consequence of consensus rules which allowed, in effect, no action.  That of course would not amount to a blessing, by all.

In that case, 'the discussion continues,' with IGF a designated forum, if not for negotiations, with a five-year timeframe.  And as we know, perhaps other discussions of 'enhanced cooperation.'

Of course the Burr-Cade proposal has not been made, formally anyway, to IGF, but rather within the parochial quarters of the existing structure.  Appropriately enough, to be sure.  There are, equally surely, other proposals out there - have been, for some time.  Presumably they will in some form once again see the light of day, to be considered one in comparison with others.

David

     governance at lists.cpsr.org