AW: [governance] Burr & Cade: proposal for introducing multi-lateral oversight of the root

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Sat Jul 22 06:34:48 EDT 2006

> i also don't think much of the argument of 'the segment (govt, ps,  cs)
> is better at x gets to rule x'  this is a argument meant to  maintain a
> status quo as those in control always appear to know best  and it is one
> that ignores the importance of stakeholders.  i think  that it not about
> who is best at oversight, it is rather who is a  stakeholder and
> therefore has an equal right of participation in any  necessary oversight.

It is not about who knows best. Governments do have a different type of
(formally) legitimate authority. Governments make binding decisions.
Governments can regulate ISPs. For example, they can impose rules of
non-discrimination or data protection provisions on ISPs. There is no
doubt that governments have specific means of political oversight at
their disposal that no other group of actors has. And, of course, they
make use of those means.

I don't see any point in denying this, and in more general terms, I also
don't see why the Internet should be treated differently than any other
cross border or transnational policy field. As long as the government's
authority is constrained by a democratic constitution, I don't have any
problem with it. In my view self-governance mechanismis would have to
develop similar constitutive elements in order to gain such a high level
of legitimacy. Excluding governmens from transnational policy making
sounds like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

For me the whole debate on political oversight is about _how_ the
various groups, stakes, regions etc. can be legitimately integrated in
decision making procedures. If the principle of sovereignty is not a
satisfiying solution anymore, what does a better answer look like?

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org