[governance] New dimension for Net governance

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 31 15:30:46 EST 2006

At 3:28 PM +0000 1/31/06, karen banks wrote:
>back in the early 90's, the RAND corporation was comissioned to do a
>study on 'net wars' - the role of the internet or computer mediated
>communication in several latin american (particularly zapatista)
>struggles..  it's a pretty powerful tool to be sure, so the above
>comment, in it's context, doesn't suprise me
>
>karen

Appreciative to learn this thorough work, depth and expertise on the
subject, particularly the papers.  That is how we get ahead I think.

The response my untutored eye raises is a good bit less benign.  A
few years back, at TPRC (main US telecoms policy research
conference), a panel from DoD was invited.  Their vision and
proposals for net warfare were met by a wall of incredulity, from
across the senior (mainly US) research community gathered in plenary.
Today, there might be some modulation in the response - but in the
main the tone that day continues to feel indicative.

The simplistic (my untutored) response is, what - attack the net?
Interesting juxtaposition to 'protect the net, by letting it be
free.'  I'm probably missing something.

David