[governance] statement for ITU website

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Mon Jan 30 10:06:08 EST 2006

Hi,

So far I have as signatories,

William Drake                        Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility/
                                                    Graduate Institute for International Studies
Wolfgang Kleinwachter        University of Aarhus
McTim                                     Internet Infrastructure Consultant
Lee McKnight                        Syracuse University/Internet Governance Project
Parminder Jeet Singh            IT for Change
Jeanette Hofmann                 Social Science Research Center, Berlin
Avri Doria                             Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility/Consultant

Questions:

1.  Parminder thinks we should have some sort of WSIS-related identification.  I'm not much on a lead like 'we the people of WSIS-CS' or whatever since it implies a level of consultation and consensus that isn't there, but I suppose I could label it, Statement by Members of the WSIS-Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus.  Any problems with that?  Of course, I'd rather it was simply a statement of the caucus, full stop, can't imagine that many caucus members are opposed to asking for inclusion, and we've made caucus statements in the past with fewer ayes (an issue in itself, I suppose), but maybe that's pushing it a bit...Anyone have guidance/feelings about this either way?

2.  Avri suggested I frame this in terms of "civil society organizations and academics."  I view academia as part of CS by definition, but can do this for emphasis, in which case perhaps I should stick Dr. in front of the relevant names.  With ITU, where claims of 'expertise' are highly relevant to a claim to participation, this might be desirable.  Guidance/feelings...?

I guess I can send this later in the evening to give more time in case others want to sign on, I'll just email it directly to relevant staff to make sure it gets seen before the meeting.

Best,

Bill