[governance] statement for ITU website

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 30 09:24:34 EST 2006

Hi Bill

Pl add IT for Change's endorsement to it. Thanks.

I still find it astonishing that ITU can get away with not incorporating
open access principle which is clearly stated in POA, and more clearly so
for the kind of work ITU does - technical IS related info..

I am in the middle of something urgent, and not able to draft a separate
'open access' statement' - so well, some other time. Though I also see that
there could be some lack of complete consensus on this issue in the CS - it
is certainly is a complex issue..

For me making such representations is important not only from a content
point of view - which is of course more important - but as much from process
point of view. We need to take opportunity at these times when the WSIS-CS
mandate, structure and future is uncertain to asset ourselves as the 'WSIS
CS' or something. We have gathered some political strength in our collective
form, however rudimentary. It needs to be preserved - and it can only be
preserved by pushing 'content' or substantive actions like this one..

That was the reason I had used the rather artificial sounding opening for
the statement I drafted - 'We, the CS that associated with the WSIS'. See if
some acceptable version of such assertion can be used.. It will be
politically significant... though we need to figure out how much active the
WSIS CS is at present.. More on that later..

Thanks for the effort.

Best regards

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh