[governance] Losing focus: IGF and "technical discussions"

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 24 11:38:31 EST 2006

Additional perspective:

The telco world has been evolving, to incorporate the rise of the
net.  Bill makes clear how NGN is one model for the emerging, robust
'new telco.'

The Internet side has not been sitting still.  There are a number of
initiatives underway.  One, fairly recent is GENI
http://www.nsf.gov/cise/geni/ .  A just released 'snapshot' shows a
third of a billion (US) dollar effort, for first work anyway
http://www.geni.net/GENI-10-JAN-06.pdf .  A quick browse through some
of the graphics in the 122 pages gives a sense of the scope.

There are others.  Besides the fairly well known Internet2
http://www.internet2.edu/ , Bill St. Arnaud's CANARIE recently linked
to some others
http://lists.canarie.ca/pipermail/news/2005/000177.html .  Engineers
on this IG list (perhaps Ian?) can do a better job pointing us to the
full picture, for instance to efforts outside the US.

These are the same forces (and some of the same people) who unleashed
the innovation that became the Internet, from a few decades ago.

One of the more interesting questions is what might be the relation
between telco NGN and these new visions/versions of a net.  The
recent history left Bell heads on one side and Net heads on the
other.  Recent practice at ITU-T, the standardization arm, has
reached out to arrange for more coordination among international
standards work, including especially with the IETF, on the net side
of course.

May I suggest?  Continuing to enable free-form innovation, which is
on display in these initiatives, is one of the bottom-line
imperatives ultimately before the IGF.  In my sense anyway, this will
run in parallel with regulatory efforts that some other concerns may
engender (as Bill begins to unveil below).

This free-form innovation is IMO just one outcropping of freedom of
expression, the touchstone for much of what powered WSIS debate, from
both sides.  And will continue to be driving in IGF, again IMO.  (If
we look for it in the 'principles,' 'transparent' comes closest.)

David