[governance] Losing focus: IGF and "technical discussions"

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Tue Jan 24 04:46:56 EST 2006

Hi,

I've deleted MMWG from the cc here, cross-posting filling my box.

I strongly agree with the thrust of Seiiti's message.  While this list was
the first place to seriously discuss the case for a broad definition of IG,
as was eventually embraced in the Tunis Agenda, the conversation usually
defaults back to deconstructing the internal machinations of ICANN, and
everything else slips from view.  Given the unresolved oversight fight in
WSIS and the Tunis call for a new globally applicable policy principles and
enhanced cooperation on core resources, one imagines the IGF will end up
focusing on this as well in the near-term.  This is unquestionably key, but
at the same time, there is a lot going on in other issue-areas and
cooperative mechanisms that we're not talking about, but that is really
important to the future evolution of the net.

Just to note one example, there is an enormous amount of work going on among
governments, telcos, manufacturers and others, most notably but not only in
the ITU, under the rubric of 'Next Generation Networks' that is designed to
promote shared rules and programs on surveillance (oops, sorry, security and
trust) and differentiated levels of service in a convergent environment.
This mirrors major developments happening at the national level across the
OECD region and probably beyond.  In the US context, in addition what the
FCC's been doing in its IP-enabled services proceeding, there's been some
potentially important legislative action.  For example, to strengthen
cyberstalking prosecution tools, the recently passed reauthorization of the
Violence Against Women Act amends the Communications Act of America by
expanding the definition of a telecommunications device to cover any device
or software that uses the Internet, including VOIP.  This could place a big
chunk of the net environment under US telecom 'oversight' and strengthen the
drive in the International Law Enforcement Telecom Seminar and elsewhere to
mandate the build-in of forensics capabilities, etc.  Companies like
Verisign are very much at the center of all this, but we only talk about the
DNS side of their houses.

The IGF is supposed to focus inter alia on cross-cutting issues that don't
fall neatly within the scope of other bodies, and to promote the application
of the Geneva principles (multilateral, multistakeholder, transparent,
democratic) in such bodies.  If CS doesn't bother to promote these core
parts of the mandate, probably they will fall off the table.  That'd be
unfortunate, and we could all pay for it in spades down the line.

Best,

Bill