[governance] RALOs without halos

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Mon Jan 23 22:04:51 EST 2006

Bret, thanks for putting the clear idea and direction. I fully share
the views you put below.

To me,  ALS > RALO > ALAC was "better" alternative than
just abandoning the whole AtLarge/ICANN when ICANN Board
decided to go with "reform" without AtLarge at all. That's why
we kind of "lobbied" them to put AtLarge back into ICANN
structure, ended up with the current structure.

Even though there are shortcomings, and after three years
of effort we know more about the shortcomings than before,
simply giving up does not seem to make sense. We can discuss
how to improve, how to make change, but I think just finger-pointing
at the "wrong" target is less constructive, more harmful.
In that regard, I share the following Bret put.

"When we want to achieve the same objective, but have differing
views on how to best achieve it, we should see ourselves as allies,
albeit working on different fronts."

thanks,

izumi