[governance] IGF mechanism 5.0

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Jan 23 09:50:28 EST 2006

Il giorno dom, 22/01/2006 alle 12.50 +0300, McTim ha scritto:
> I know I've said this before, but...
>
> Whatever is created MUST be better or equal to the best Internet
> Policy Development Processes that we have now.  It was acknowlwdged by
> many on the governance caucus list that the RIR policies are the
> "cleanest" of the ICANN processes.

I agree that RIR processes are quite good, but please don't forget that
at the IGF we'll not be making technical agreements with policy
implications, but policy agreements that need to be compatible with
technology. The set of stakeholders, interests and views that will be
involved in discussions on, say, privacy, freedom of expression, or
e-commerce are likely to be much much broader and diverse (and less
technical) than those involved in names and numbers administration.