[governance] RALOs without halos

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at isoc.lu
Mon Jan 23 05:08:46 EST 2006

David,

My personal opinion is that Internet users (ie customers and consumers)
should somehow have a say in ICANN and other governance processes.
Limiting the processes to those with technical/legal expertise is
dangerous. This is called a technocracy. It would be a false assumption
to consider that registries, registrars, RIRs or ISPs in any way
represent their customers interest. They protect their business first
and foremost.

If we cannot have directly elected board members out of the
consumer/customer community, they should be  represented by telecom user
groups, consumer associations, etc. We need a Ralf Nader of the Internet.

This being said, I do not personally think that the At-large process is
the way to go.It has proven uneffective and this was by design.  I would
rather see an end-user constituency made of the above-mentioned groups
and designating one or more board members (with voting rights).

Best,

Patrick Vande Walle
ISOC Luxembourg