[governance] non-profit org

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Sun Jan 22 09:13:48 EST 2006

Yes, it would be very good to found a non profit for civil society to
self-organize around Internet Governance related topics in a wider
sense.  I can think of two different models (and some variations in
between):
1. An umbrella organization that provides some legal structure and
procedures for already existing organizations or networks such as the IG
caucus and other WSIS related working groups willing to carry on, but
also non WSIS related entities that are interested in building an
independent, international civil society organization. Perhaps NCUC,
EDRI or even ALAC would be interested in participating.

2. A new NGO as a formalized version of the IG caucus' open structure,
which develops a political agenda for the IG forum (and perhaps further
IG related processes such as ICANN.

Both versions require considerable commitment and some funding.

jeanette