[governance] Establishment of the European Regional At-Large Organizaton

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Sat Jan 21 11:09:58 EST 2006

Vittorio:

Danny raises an interesting point - should existing (although
limited) opportunities for engagement and participation in ICANN be
utilized at all by "civil society" ?

If we want to prevent capture, then why don't we make sure that "no
one organization" be allowed to control, nor monopolize  new  "At-
Large Structures" such as the "European" one now being announced.

A few questions & comments :

-  Knowing the issues with ISOC, I am curious as to why on earth an
ISOC space was chosen to host the discussions about the new
structure. Could another space not have been chosen?

- Being an EU (spanish) citizen, I'd like to ask the question of
"language" and how that issue will be handled ? The French and
Spanish internet users will no doubt make a very strong point that
linguistic diversity is one that should be accommodated.

- Again, with my "spanish" hat on, I'd like to be constructive and
recommend some leading organizations in Spain that should be
contacted and hopefully engage. Their contact information is as follows:

(1) Asociacion de Internautas

http://www.internautas.org/
Addtess: C/ Télemaco 12,1º 9º - - 28027 Madrid
Web: http://www.internautas.org
email: asociacion at internautas.org

(2) Fundacion Cibervoluntarios -

Phone: +34 902 998 417
E-mail:  info at cibervoluntarios.es
Address:  Cibervoluntarios, Apartado de Correos 8.239, C.P. 28080
Madrid, Spain

Yolanda Rueda Fdez was at WSIS and would be a good person to engage.

A suggestion - Yolanda is organizing a conference on ICTs and Social
action this coming May in Seville. The conference is still being
planned, and as such an idea might be to organize something at the
event (a panel, or perhaps even an information booth). This would
allow people to know more about ICANN, specifically how they could
engage in the European at large structures.

Perhaps we can get PIR & ICANN interested in sponsoring something - I
know Yolanda would be VERY keen to get their support!

(I am cc'ing Yolanda...)

(3) CPSR Spain

Yes, CPSR has a chapter in Spain. It's not as active as it could be -
but there are people there who could very well be interested in
participating in the discussions related to a new European At Large
Structure.

I am cc'ing David Casacuberta, a good friend and collegue who could
pass you additional names of organizations who could be interested in
Spain.

In terms of others:

European - EDRI <http://www.edri.org> is the first organization that
comes to mind. Personally, I am of the opinion that much would be
gained by consulting the many member organizations that make up EDRI.
The issue of digital rights should not, must not be ignored...

France -   you might want to get in touch with Divina Meigs from
Paris. As you know she was very much involved in the Education
Family. As she's not ISOC, well, she might be able to give you
suggestions on who else to contact in France...

Malta - I would definitely suggest getting in touch with Jovan and
the folks @ the Diplofoundation. Should they be interested, it would
be great to harness the analytical and consultation skills they have
- and bringing to the new structure.

I hope you find my comments and suggestions useful.

kindest regards,

Robert

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>