[governance] [ga] Re: Establishment of the European Regional At-Large Organizaton

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 10:25:14 EST 2006

Vittorio,

We have a proactive obligation to prevent capture.
You may wish to recall the words of the White Paper:

"Governance. The organizing documents (Charter,
Bylaws, etc.) should provide that the new corporation
is governed on the basis of a sound and transparent
decision-making process, which protects against
capture by a self-interested faction, and which
provides for robust, professional management of the
new corporation."

You have chosen to acquiesce to capture because it
serves your interests -- sorry, but I find this to be
repugnant.

As an ISOC chapter member, I support initiatives that
promote our common stake in maintaining the viability
and global scaling of the Internet, but I do not
support fraud.  ISOC chapters have a place within
ICANN as constituent members of the non-commercial
constituency (NCUC) -- they are not, and have never
claimed to be, voices that speak for the broader
at-large community.

When ICANN staff negotiated a 7% annual increase in
.com fees did we hear an expression of rage from the
ISOC chapters?  No.  We heard nothing.  Not a peep.

They are not the At-Large -- They don't represent the
At-Large nor are they motivated by the same set of
concerns that impact the real At-Large community --
they are a different body with a different set of
interests and concerns.  In fact, in the last three
and a half years not one single ISOC chapter
functioning as one your At-Large "structures" has ever
sent even one single comment to the ICANN Board on any
at-large topic whatsoever.

Vittorio, this fraud must end.