[governance] VS: [Fwd: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Tue Feb 28 19:39:43 EST 2006

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:

>upheld and addressed via a flexible and improved framework and mechanisms". For China, to have its own root with chinese TLDs is the execution of the sovereignty over their domain name space.

Not really.  They may see it that way - but in fact it will bring to the
forefront issues affecting resolution and traffic congestion.

>They certainly will not start a root with .com zone files in ASCII code. But what now VeriSign/IANA/DOC is doing with iDN TLD root zone files? Will they create their own version of .com in chinese characters and than put it into the Hidden Server?

I think your getting ASCII and "chinese characters" confused.  The DNS
is ASCII.  The chinese characters use an encoding method that utilizes
an ASCII string.  Each computer in china has been upgraded to support
the chinese character script - which is translated by the browser into a
representative ASCII string.

>US Principle 3 was the price, the US government offered to get its principle 1 through: Continuation of its own oversight role with regard to ICANN and the DNS. And China accepted this in July 2006. It was not accepted (or understood) by the EU. That is why you saw the struggle in September and the letter from Madame Rice to Mr. Strw. Now you have two unilateral controlled root server systems, one based on ASCII, the other one on Chinese characters. And what will happen with Arab, Cyrillic and Persian?

Just create arab, cyrillic and persian TLDs - I don't see a problem.
Also thereare more then two root server systems.  With the advent of the
public-root several have been established, including a turkish root
system.  The trick to the internet is tha all this activity is a test -
do people want one internet - or islands of many.  Root are the means by
which we create networks through domain space.  Will we have system
offering a brand new internet - tired of dot.com - join dot.com2?

It should not surprise people in the know that terrors organization
operate their own private dns systems with internal naming conventions.
Some (very few) military also use their own root systems.  And lets not
forget the GSM root recently introduced this past year.  Thats also a
large footprint.

>Not a big deal, if you have password to leave the Chinese Internet and to go to the ASCII Internet. And Only a small group of people living in the ASCII world will knock at the door of the Chinese Internet. Big news, but no revolution. We are moving, as Mr. Hegel has said, confirmed later by Mr. Marx, nearly 200 years ago, from simple to complex structures. The remaining question is, is there a need to coordinate the different language based roots? ITU is waiting for new business ...((((.

You really have no idea whats happening.  The creation of the chinese
root will cause serious problems with the united states root system.
Namely increased traffic which is becoming a serious conern these days.

Here is the senario - just multiply it upwards by an astronomical
amount.  If small alternative root systems can cause damage to the USG
root - what will something like the china root.  Moral of story - people
who are blind bang head into wall many times.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/05/dud_queries_swamp_us_internet/

regards
joe baptista