[governance] [Mmwg] [Fwd: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Tue Feb 28 19:24:35 EST 2006

Milton Mueller wrote:

>Just checked. The quote is from the English version of Peoples Daily online. Based on context, one could edit the statement in the following way:
>

>>As one article puts it,
>>this "means [Chinese-speaking] Internet users don't have to surf the Web via the servers
>>under the management of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names
>>and Numbers (ICANN) of the United States" [if they don't want to access anything registered under .com, .net, .org, .info, or any one of the other 200 or so ccTLDs."]

Surfers in china "Users" have not used the USG root system (ICANN) for
some years now.  User computers were updated via an extensive network of
leading ISPs.

This is such old news - incredible the ignorance here on what has been
happening out in the wild.  This is why I keep reminding the
organizations here how irrelevant they trully are to the dynamics of DNS.

Cheers
joe baptista