[governance] [Fwd: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Tue Feb 28 19:18:39 EST 2006

David Allen wrote:

>So the facts are clear:  China (and not just China ...) has had
>so-called alternate multilingual roots for some time - to the point

Thats about right - and lets not forget the turkish experiment with the
public-root that included multilingual tlds.  Successful experiment.

http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/turkey/tld-index.html

>where _currently_ there are 70 million native Chinese character
>users, and growing.  This is not something that is just happening.
>It has been underway for quite awhile.  The Western press
>environment, likely influenced by ICANN and US Gov positions, has
>failed to bring it to light (for us) - that does not change the
>reality.

Best kept secret.  It could be a technical nightmare in the making.  The
chinse root is really an island root system.  They don't like sharing
their data.  Has anyone seen an axfr file from the china root yet?  The
root splits we are witnessing will challenge people to take up the model
which we the tecicians designed for the public-root system.  If you want
to commuicate with each other your going to have to acknowledge non of
you has control of the root systems - including the governments.

regards
joe