[governance] need to push a 'development agenda' in IGF

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 22 07:50:32 EST 2006

Milton,

I am sorry I missed your intervention, but now I read it, and support it
wholly.

>>> For critical internet resources, there is no opposition as far as I
know. How could "internet resources" be outside the mandate of an IGF?>>>

There, in fact, was opposition to this issue on this list, apart from
opposition to access issue. At least two emails clearly expressed
opposition, and Bill, while saying he agrees to inclusion of this issue,
acknowledged differences on the list.

Some others seem to lean towards the view that IGF need only take up issues
that are not at present dealt elsewhere.

As for the 'access and affordability' issue, I think it goes beyond simple
infrastructural access. Many IG issues implicate on access and
affordability, of content/information for example. The cost of domain
registration itself could be one, multilingualism is another, and there are
other issues like of network neutrality that lie more in the future could
have great access and affordability implication. As you argued so well in
your intervention, after all IGF is not making any decisions, so why cut off
any issue at all from its ambit. And when we speak of access and
affordability issue we certainly do not mean that IGF become the place for
negotiating telecom treaties. But much of the future regarding internet
issues is indeterminate. It does no one any harm if IGF is clearly mandated
that its discussion should always be informed by access and affordability
perspectives. If IG had an IPR connection I cant see how access and
affordability of information issue can be far behind.  Access to Internet is
of course promoted if there is affordable and useful content on the
internet.

Too much insistence that these issues be clearly kept out makes one feel
that the issues of socio-economic justice are not being considered
important. The debate regarding socio-economic neutrality of technology or
otherwise is an established one in development discourse. But many seem to
insist on going back and insisting on such neutrality. "Access and
affordability' are the only two words in the IGF part of WSIS docs which
represent such equity issues - why not just let them be. This issue is so
important that we can even do with some redundancy.

In the present geo-political scenario there is no danger of an
over-discussion of development issues. If anything, global public policy
spaces are only bring constricted in terms of development issues - or the
issue of development is given different spins that are more acceptable to
the dominant interests.

WIPO is the obvious example - and the attempts to include development
issues/ agenda and resistance to it, are instructive. In this context, it
becomes important that enough spaces are created in public policy body at
their conception itself to accommodate progressive agendas. It is therefore
important that we are less apologetic and more aggressive about a
development agenda in IGF. Whatever structures emerge for IGF (working
groups etc), 'development agenda' should be strongly accounted for. And CS
needs to have an active role in this process. We need also to resist
'capacity building' kinds of spins filling up the 'development' space.

As I argued earlier, no is no real danger of 'such irrelevant issues' taking
all the spaces. There are powerful players who will ensure this doesn't
happen. We need to realize how different constituencies are situated in the
power matrix - and countries from the North, (without meaning offense) also
CS for the North does and will continue to dominate the agenda more that
south based interests.

In this context identifying and siding with lesser represented voices and
interests should be the natural thing to do for the CS. But this often
hasn't happened in our representations.

It may be necessary to form an interest group for pushing 'development
agenda' in IG if the main IG CS group isn't too interested in this issue. In
fact, a good research study that explores and identifies present and
potential 'development issues' including of access and affordability, in IG
would be useful starting point. Will IG Project be interested in such a
thing?

Regards

Parminder
Parminder Jeet Singh