[governance] Comments - afternoon, Friday

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Mon Feb 20 10:45:05 EST 2006

I for one would prefer not to have a separate CS bureau. There is
considerable value and trust building that occurs when one is involved
as an equal to the other stakeholders.

Now if a CS bureau is formed for the IGF, then I would suggest that it
be created and not built on nor structured on the CSB that existed
during the WSIS process.

May I recall that   I've made two, i think even three calls over the
past months  for the existing Civil Society Bureau to be reviewed.

>From my point of view, it has a real lack of legitimacy.  It's members
were elected and/or appointed long ago, it is over populated by Tunisian
NGOs and agents, and currently run effectively by only one organization.

keen to hear comments of others.

regards

Robert

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Actually, plenty of governments made quite clear that they don't seeit feasible to have less than 15 gov reps as a very minimum, due to
their internal balance problems. If we insist on making it small, I am
sure that the ones to disappear from the Committee would be the
non-governmental people, not the governmental ones... or that they would
go for the solution that most developing countries are pushing, i.e.
three separate bureaus, as it was in WSIS, "so that each of them is more
manageable". Needless to say that the CSB and PSB would then become
completely meaningless.